Thursday, November 17, 2011

Day 174 – No Day at the Spa and Check Out that Wing-Span!

Jeff went to Flourtown today for a massage by Val, my sister’s sister-in-law, who couldn’t wait to get her hands on him.  She gave extra attention to his shoulder, even somehow getting her fingers under his scapula!   I had described my one and only professional massage to Jeff so that I may have led him to believe the experience would be spa-like.  Between his shoulder pain and Val’s speaking while she worked, he did not relax enough to fall asleep on the table.  Val said his next massage would be different.  He made an appointment for next week.  Then he headed to PT in Yardley. 

PT Mike set Jeff to work on a behind-the-back-stick-lifting exercise and then went to work with another patient.  Mike had the 70-year-old woman touching a ball with her foot, then touch to the side, then back to the ball, etc.  Mike saw Jeff across the room and hollered, “That’s way too easy for you!”  The woman said, “Do you think so?”  Mike replied, “Oh, no, I meant him.”  Mike adapted the exercise by having Jeff put his hands closer together on the stick. 

Jeff and Mike discussed what would happen if his shoulder didn’t limber up with PT.  Apparently they put patients under and wrench the shoulder loose (I’m sure there is a proper medical term for that) and then immediately, the same day, PT begins so that the shoulder doesn’t seize up again.

When I got home from work, Jeff demonstrated his impressive wing span.  I shouted in amazement.  His right arm was almost as high as his left arm in wing-span position!  Jeff thinks he is going to be sore.  I hope he will be able to do his exercises at least once tomorrow.  

No comments: