Thursday, April 4, 2013

Her Name is Nicole!

I was startled from my nap by the phone.  A glance at the Caller ID had my sleepy head working overtime to work out why Penn Oncology was calling.  We’d already gotten Jeff’s last lab results and it was too early for the call to confirm his next appointment.  Had Jeff called the doctor to report a problem?  Well, I answered the call, of course.  It was Joanne.

Joanne!  Cool as a cucumber was my voice while my heart beat out the rhythm of a happy dance.  I chatted pleasantly as she asked how Jeff was doing and all the while I was thinking that there’s only one reason Joanne would call.

Joanne is the donor coordinator at Penn, the only one at Penn who is allowed to know the identity of Jeff’s donor, the one through whom we can correspond with Jeff’s donor.  And she possibly has the most fun job of any in oncology.  She didn’t keep me in suspense too long, though.  Jeff’s mystery woman had just signed consent to share her contact information.  I told Joanne I would try to reach Jeff by cell phone and have him call her. 

Jeff was working (yay!) and I called to give him the news.  He was deep into hanging a door - one hinge was mounted and he was screwing in the other.  He started describing what he was doing by way of explanation as to why he wouldn’t call Joanne at that precise moment.  He said he’d call later today or tomorrow morning.  “Are you kidding!”  I said. 

A half hour later Jeff called to say he was hands-free but he wanted to finish cleaning up the job site.  I offered to call Joanne to say Jeff would call within the hour.

Joanne was, in fact, about to call me back.  She said, “I know it’s o.k. with Jeff if I give you the information.”  She gave me the donor’s full name spelling each letter of her last name like a police officer calling in a perp’s license plate number, “T as in Thomas, R as in Robert…”  Her name is Nicole!  Cell phone number and email address followed - also spelled out with great care.  Joanne said, “I can tell you that the product didn’t come from very far away.” 

I said, “We are going to be grandparents next month” (I’ll tell anyone that!), “and Nicole made it possible for Jeff and I to experience that together.  We kind of like her.”  I was pretty blubbery by this time but Joanne enjoyed hearing our good news.  Joanne asked that we let her know when contact has been made.  I hung up the phone and texted Jeff his blood sister’s name - Nicole!  Then I paced the house.  And waited.

When Jeff got home he chuckled and said, “Did they pass that law?  I hope she doesn’t want to be paid!”  This, of course, on top of his contention that his donor is a prisoner and, therefore, is not permitted to make contact.  Jokes aside, he was happy with the news although not in a hurry to call or write.  A little shy, I think.  Eventually, he did shoot off a nice email message and signed it, “Your Blood Brother, Jeff.” 

When I added Nicole’s email address to our contact list - Poof! – her picture populated the photo field.  She’s beautiful.  Of course, I already knew that.  

No comments: