Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Plus Three Pills and a 6-Hour Nap

While Theresa, Kim and I attended Theresa’s baby shower in Harrisburg this weekend, Jeff and Kerry worked on Kerry and Theresa’s family room.  Big changes there – the hardwood floor is installed, the ceramic tile floor in the laundry room is done, they primed all wall surfaces, worked on the stairs.  I call this frenzy of activity “Jeff’s version of nesting.”  He says he wants to make sure he has an awesome hang-out place for himself and the baby but mostly I think he wants to please our daughter-in-law.  The weekend was exhausting for Jeff.  But early Monday morning (7:50!) Jeff had to be at the Perelman Center for labs.  No opportunity to sleep in. 

Jeff arrived at the train station in Yardley as a train pulled up.  He ran for it, believing his train was early (There is no such thing as an early train, right?).  He realized his mistake when the train arrived at 30th Street Station on the wrong track.  He could tell it was not destined for University City.  Oops.  He got off the train and boarded the one he should have taken to begin with and ended up at the Perelman center only a little bit late.
 
After his stick, he texted me “All done.”  He snoozed on the ride home.  All day I resisted the temptation to call and see how he was doing because I guessed – correctly it turns out – that he was going right back to bed.  I got home from work after 5 p.m. and was greeted with, “Guess what time I laid down for my nap?”  He sounded like a little kid asking me to make a guess but expecting to stump me.

“10:30,” I said.  I knew that was what time he’d returned home from the city. 

“Yep.  Guess what time I woke up?” he asked, his tone emitting confidence that he could still shock and amaze me.

“Just now?!” I guessed, alarmed.

“After 4 p.m.  I slept through lunch!  I would make a good baby, wouldn’t I?” 

This marathon nap, miraculously, did not affect his ability to sleep at night.  He was back in bed around 9 p.m. and dozed solidly through the night.

Tuesday night at Gilda’s Club we had the opportunity to share the good news that we’d been in contact with Nicole, Jeff’s donor.  Our networking group was very happy to hear about her and about the transplant experience from the perspective of the donor – at least so far as we understand it. 

A new member of the group, Sam, prompted introductions - including diagnosis and brief treatment histories.  A lot of the conversation involved cancer “war stories,” whereas last month, with only the regulars in attendance, we hardly discussed disease.  Sam smiled often at our raucous laughter and our jokes.  We even got our facilitator, Marianne, to admit that we are her favorite group.  Lincoln commented that he expected a morose, sickly bunch of people when he joined Gilda’s Club but that he was happy to find our group does not fit that description.  In the car on the way home Jeff said, “I think I help to make the group laugh.”  I agreed that laughter is his particular talent and contribution.

I checked Penn’s website often to see whether Jeff’s lab results had been posted.  By Wednesday afternoon I was getting concerned that Jeff had heard nothing, despite our email nudge to Dr. Porter’s office.  Late Wednesday afternoon Dr. Allison called with the disappointing news that his liver counts were doubled what they should be and that he would have to take four Mycophenolate (Cellcept) pills per day to keep the GVHD in check.  This dosage is double his original dose.  Drs. Porter and Allison felt that he had tolerated the Cellcept well and increasing his dosage of Cellcept is preferable to putting him back on steroids.  He’ll have to be very careful in the sun and we probably should familiarize ourselves with the side effects again.

Dr. Allison was apprehensive about Jeff’s reaction to her instructions.  He took it in stride.  Cellcept must be taken on an empty stomach so it will cramp his style a little bit.  He will not be able to eat breakfast early or snack late at night.  Oh, well. 

Another area of neuropathy has developed on his left shoulder.  Instead of the hypersensitivity of his feet and right shoulder, this one is completely numb to the touch or when water hits it in the shower.

We heard this week that Lois, a member of Jeff’s Cancer Coterie and a former customer, passed away.  She had been in a bad way for a long time and, thankfully, she suffers no more.  Prayers for her husband, Bob, please, and all who have lost a loved one to cancer.

No comments: