Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Aren't We Smart?


Today was a good day.  When I got to the hospital, Jeff was sitting in a chair at the end of the hallway.  He was alert and lookin’ good.  He told me that he thought he’d sit and watch the activity at the construction site outside the window.  How disappointing that the 3- or 4-acre site, the future parking garage for the hospital, had only two guys working on it.  One guy was carrying plans and another guy was digging a hole by hand.  So much for live entertainment!

We went for a stroll and soon detected the smell of fresh paint.  We found John, the maintenance man who had changed the bulb in the light fixture in Jeff’s room, painting the hallway.  John was glad to see Jeff up and about and the two of them talked shop a little while.  Jeff asked if he could help and, for a moment, I thought John was going to hand over the roller! 

Jeff’s appetite was good and he was alert all day even though he’d had a terrible night’s sleep.  (The lady across the hall had wheeled herself into his room in her wheelchair in the middle of the night – one of a few nocturnal adventures.)  Jeff walked the halls another couple of times throughout the day.  He paged through a book and a magazine.  We were able to read/play a little I Spy. 

The only proper way to read/play an I Spy  book is to snuggle in close with your sweetie.  Jeff made room for me in the bed and invited me in.  Before long we realized we should both have our reading glasses.  I got both pairs and climbed back in.  We read a few pages and I commented how smart we must look, with our reading glasses, reading I Spy.  If someone came in and found us thus, they would think we were very smart.  We read a few more pages and then we came to a really hard page.  We were having trouble so we did what we always do when we need a new perspective; we turned the book upside down.  We were studying the book very, very closely.  It occurred to us that now we must look really, really smart, with our reading glasses, reading I Spy, and with the book upside down!

A second ultrasound today revealed another blood clot at the heart-end of the PICC line.  He was given a couple of shots of anti-coagulant and he’ll have another ultrasound tomorrow to make sure it worked.  If not, one of a number of alternative plans will have to be put into place. 

2 comments:

bette mcerlean said...

Following along and saying my prayers. It sounds like you are doing pretty well considering. I think snuggling is good medicine. Keep up the good work and positive spirit.

Bette

Tracy said...

LOL! Oh, how I wish the hospital had traveling photographers. . . There is a book for every occasion and I'm sure glad you found what works for you right now! Praying. . .