Sunday, June 5, 2011

Day Zero Plus Nine - Angry Birds

Jeff had some trouble sleeping again last night even though he was given pain meds every four hours.  It was a fitful sleep.  When he slept a solid two hours straight, the night nurse commented about it.  Jeff couldn’t believe it had been only two hours; to him it felt like eight.  Time is going very slowly for him.

I got to the hospital early so I could get him showered and dressed before I went to Theresa’s bridal shower in Harrisburg.  When I arrived, Jeff was eating breakfast but he was really uncomfortable and discouraged.  I rubbed his back.  Sometimes when I rub his back he doesn’t say much about whether it helps.  I think it does because I can feel him relax.  Today he said it felt “really good” and that almost made up for yesterday’s grumpiness.  He still felt weak and was not at all sure he was up to showering.  I told him we’d be quick and have a chair ready for him outside the shower when he was done.  We did just that and then immediately plunked him back into bed, mostly dressed.    

Judy and Mark spent the day with Jeff while Kim and I were at the shower.  They reported Jeff having alternating periods of sleep and wakefulness during which they played Angry Birds on the IPad.  They said Jeff was pretty good at it but lost concentration at one point and just stared at it.  Judy and Mark left some things on the IPad for me to find tomorrow.  Hmmm… I can’t wait to see.

The bridal shower was fun and it felt a little like I was playing hooky from school.  It was very nice to get away from the hospital for a time.  Judy kept me posted periodically until she texted, “Are you having fun?” and I replied, “Yes.  Now stop bugging me.”  Judy and Mark saved the day because I very much wanted to attend and would not have been comfortable leaving Jeff on his own for so long. 

 

1 comment:

Jill Malefyt said...

Hi Amy,
Family members are also up for the nomination of "helpers of the year" in the bone marrow transplant ordeal. We will pray for patience and grace for you and your family as you spend the long hours being present for Jeff. My sister is a better cook after having spent many hours watching the cooking channel in the hospital with her husband. Hang in there.