Saturday, June 18, 2011

Day Zero Plus Twenty-two – Class Five Rapids

I was relieved to find Jeff sitting in a chair eating his breakfast when I arrived this morning.  He said he didn’t feel great but he was willing to shower. 

Mark visited this morning and provided a welcome distraction for both Jeff and me.  Besides, he came with an update on Pop.  Probably on Monday, Pop will be moved to a nursing home.  Jeff was tired but was able to participate some in the conversation.  He did not seem thrilled when I suggested a walk around the hallway, but once we got him gowned, gloved and masked, he surprised us by walking the halls for about 15 minutes.  That is exercise time we can report for Dr. Lee’s study!  When his lunch was delivered, Jeff reluctantly ate half of a grilled cheese sandwich and faded into sleep shortly thereafter.  Mark joined me for lunch in the cafeteria.  It was nice to have the company.

Jeff’s ANC was 530 today.  Down a tad.  His WBC was the same as yesterday, 1.4, and his hemoglobin was 8.1.  Nurse Ashley said he will probably get a transfusion tomorrow.
His platelets seem to be on a steady incline, 37,000 today.

Jeff slept a lot, we did some puzzles, watched Netflix on his iPad and spent a quiet afternoon together.  We’re both unsure about discharge on Monday.  We are afraid to count on it. 

The boys are out in Western Pennsylvania enjoying Class 5 rapids on the Youghiogheny River - Kerry’s bachelor party.  Kim is in Baltimore at the bachelorette party (not sure what they are doing but it isn’t Class 5 rapids).  I am so happy they could get away and have fun.  I’m especially glad the boys have a chance to be together for what I hope is a bonding experience with each other and the rest of the guys.  Ditto Kim with the gals.  However, because I was so worried about Jeff, I had a niggling fear that some event would interrupt the fun weekend and with the wedding only three weeks away…  Oh, I know; don’t borrow trouble.  I am just saying these are the things that cross my mind.

When I got home tonight I wanted to do laundry.  I turned on the light in the laundry room and there was a wet spot, a splashy-looking puddle about a foot and a half in diameter.  Above it was a dripping PVC pipe.  This is my test, I thought.  What do I do when Jeff can’t fix this?  I put a bucket under the leaky pipe and went across the street to my plumber-neighbor’s house.  Both cars were there but Greg and Barbara were evidently out for Saturday night.  How nice for them.  I went home, debated who to call next, checked the bucket to see how fast it was filling up (not too much), and determined that it was the bathtub drain and that, yes, I could still do laundry.  I hope I am right about that.  I think the repair can wait.  I put a sign on the bathtub spigot, “Do Not Use – Leaks into Laundry Room.”  There.  See that?  I know just what to do.  I think the boys might know how to fix it and why pay a plumber weekend rates if it can wait?  Fingers crossed…  At least it wasn’t Class 5 rapids.  

1 comment:

KimmyO said...

And to a little rain must fall (or in this case a drip). Hope your sons are able to fix the leak (good practice for them - I'm sure Jeff taught them well). Keeping our fingers and toes crossed that Jeff will come home if not Monday then early this week. Have fun withe the recontamination, lol. Wish Jeff a Happy Father's Day from us. Your friends, Kim & Bernie