Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Day Zero Plus Twenty-six – Hangin’ Around at Home

Last night’s sleep was only slightly better than those spent in the hospital, Jeff thought.  He doesn’t like how the pain medication makes him feel so he is probably too conservative with its use.  Last night he took only one pill and got up many times through the night to try to get comfortable. 

This morning he took a sip of tea and his liquid antibiotic and vomited shortly thereafter.  Later he had some cereal and then worked very hard to get up the courage to swallow his many pills.  I tried giving him just one to start, with the others out of sight.  Then he sat at the table for a long time, swallowing one and waiting, then another, and waiting, etc.

I made some phone calls for appointments, arranged for the home infusion nurse, and let our church office know that Jeff his home.  I caught up on laundry – many loads!  Jeff’s medical supplies were delivered and Nurse Paul came to talk to us about what would be involved in Jeff’s home care.  He took Jeff’s medical history and taught me how to flush the lines on his Hickman Catheter.  If I don’t do things in the proper sequence, I’ll end up with blood when and where we don’t want it!  Jeff will keep me straight, I guess.  It seems like a lot of pressure today but I’ll be a pro by this time next week.  

This evening, Jeff managed to eat a small dinner and he walked around the block.  We saw several neighbors who gave him their best wishes.  Once Kerry was home from apartment hunting, I visited Pop at Manor Care.  He was in good spirits and we had a nice visit, sharing hospital stories again.  He can relate to Jeff’s pain and sleep difficulties.  When I returned home, Danny and Jennifer were visiting Jeff.  We were both glad to see them. 

1 comment:

Judy said...

I hope every day is better and better! So glad you are home!