Saturday, October 8, 2011

Day 134 – Crackers Away and Spontaneous Musical Numbers

When I was cleaning today, I came across Jeff’s stash of crackers for his before-getting-out-of-bed stomach upset.  I realized that he hasn’t needed those crackers for awhile now.  When had that changed?

This was Jeff’s second day with no IV fluids and it occurred to us that now we have to remember to flush his ports since it would no longer be done as part of the infusion routine.  It’s still very important to keep those pipes clear.  We noticed that there is someone who will miss the infusions very much – Giblet!  She loved the extra snuggle time and seemed at loose ends without the opportunity to lay around with Jeff.

On Thursday morning, Dr. Porter’s office finally posted Monday’s blood test results.  Jeff and I looked at them together.  When we got to the hemoglobin count, I stared at the number for awhile before I registered which number I was looking at.  It was the first time I’d ever seen it in the 12s and it confused me.  It was 12.3!  Thursday’s counts were posted by the end of the day and his hemoglobin was 11.8.  Not bad. 

I sat at the kitchen table this morning with Jeff’s pharmaceutical bin and his pill box, loading the next week’s poison.  On our last visit to Dr. Porter’s office, Jeff had realized that he did not know his meds very well.  It’s probably time to relinquish this task to him.  He sat with me while I filled the box, naming each medicine as I dropped it in.  He saw me place two magnesium pills in each a.m. slot and only one in each p.m. spot.  He started singing “Two in the Morning and One at Night” to the tune of “I Got the Sun in the Morning and the Moon at Night” from Annie Get Your Gun.  Of course, I instinctively sang the echo.  Yes, we know we’re weird.

No comments: